Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Super Bowl Snacks

I can hardly believe that January is almost over.  Before you know it, Superbowl weekend will be here and then all I have to look forward to is months and months of basketball and baseball.  I love football - college and professional.  Last weekend, I was seriously in the doldrums when both the Ravens and the Forty-Niners lost; and, as if that wasn't bad enough, Joe Paterno died.  I admired Joe Paterno and I believe that there are very few men like him left.

So, on to this year's Superbowl.  I plan on doing some serious munching out while I'm watching the game.  I'm tired of the same old chips and dips, but at the same time, I want something that's easy to make and tastes great.  Here are two recipes I'm going to try.

Garlic Parmesan Popcorn (all you magazine 01/12)

3 tbs. unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 cup unpopped popcorn
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
1/2 tsp. cayenne
salt

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring, then remove saucepan from heat and set aside.

In a large, deep pot heat oil.  When oil is hot, add popcorn, and cover tightly.  Cook for 1 minute.  Slide pot back and forth until popcorn begins to pop.  Continue cooking and shaking pot until popping subsides, about 5 minutes.  Remove pot from heat and empty popcorn into a large bowl.

Pour butter-garlic mixture over popcorn, sprinkle with parmesan and cayenne, and toss to coat.  Season with salt and serve.

Pimento Cheese Balls*

2 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (5 oz)
1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (5 oz)
1/4 cup mayo
1 jar sliced pimentos, drained and pressed to remove liquid (7 oz)
1/4 cup sliced scallions
salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste

combine cream cheese, cheddar, pepper jack, mayo, pimentos, and scallions in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed.

transfer half of the mixture to a food processor; puree until nearly smooth.  Stir back into other half of mixture until combined.  Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.  Chill 1 hour.

divide cheese mixture into 3 even portions; form each into a ball.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.  Roll cheese balls in topping of choice (nuts, bacon crumbles, etc.) and serve with crackers.

* I don't have a source for this recipe.  I cut it out of a magazine, but I don't remember which one.

These sound good, don't they?  Go Giants!

No comments:

Post a Comment