Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Reflections on a Yard Sale

Yesterday and today I had a yard sale at my house.  I prayed all week for the weather and for my sale to be successful.  My prayers were answered on both counts.  I learned some things while preparing for and conducting my sale.

  1. Prepare, prepare, prepare!  It's a lot of work!  I've spent the last month sorting, cleaning, and pricing.
  2. Some people cannot tell time.  I put 8:00 to 1:00 on my signs, but people were there at 7:00 am.
  3. Make extra signs, because your signs can be stolen - sad, but true.
  4. People cannot read your mind.  Clearly mark your items with a price.  I borrowed an easel from my church and set up a price board for books, clothes, shoes, etc.
  5. Don't sell anything that you're emotionally attached to; remember, you want to get rid of the stuff.
  6. If you price it right, they (customers) will come, and it (stuff) will go.
  7. Presentation is huge.  Set up your yard sale so that it's easy for your customers to shop.
  8. Have a plan for what you want to do with the items left over at the end of the day.  I called our city rescue mission to come and pick up the leftover items.

Even though it was a lot of work, I got rid of some of the clutter in my house, I made money, met some really nice people, and helped out a local charity - not bad, huh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment