Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 4, 2011

Plastic Bag (Plarn) Totes

I found an easy way to reuse my plastic grocery bags; I crocheted tote bags out of them.  I found the pattern at www.kaylaksthriftyways.com.  Each of my tote bags took approximately 70 grocery bags.

Before I began to crochet, I needed to cut up my bags and make plarn.
First, I straightened out the bag.




Next, I folded the bag in half and cut off the bottom seam and the handles.



I folded the bag in half again and, using a ruler, I cut the bag into strips.


I got approximately 10 strips from each bag.

Next, I connected the bags together by intertwining them.

I pulled the two bags until they were tightly connected.
I repeated this process until I had a ball of plarn.

Basic Plarn Tote

Gauge:  About 3 sc = 1"

Finished Size:  14" across, 14" high, 8" rise on handles

With size "k" crochet hook and plarn, chain 41.

Round 1:  Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across.  Do not turn; sc in each unworked loop of ch (40 sc).

Round 2:  Sc in first sc of previous round.  Mark as first sc.  Sc in each sc around.

Repeat Round 2 (44) times.

Work Handles:

On next round:  Sc in next 14 sc.  *Ch 40.  Skip next 12 sc.  Sc in next 2 sc.  Turn, skip next 2 sc, sc in each of 40 ch and next 2 sc.  (Turn, sc in 3rd sc from hook, in next 39 sc of handle, and in next 2 sc of tote) 3 times*, sc in next 22 sc of tote, repeat between **, sc in next 6 sc of tote, sl st in next 2 sc, tie off.


Here are two of my finished bags.  They're functional, strong, and fashionable.



No comments:

Post a Comment