Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Life thru a "magnet-fying" glass

I was preparing dinner and I went to get  milk out of my refrigerator when I realized something.  My refrigerator is covered with magnets and in those magnets is a part of my life's history.  My very first magnet, a girl holding a rolling pin with the words "Wendy's Kitchen" on it - I received it as a wedding gift along with a cookbook and a box of spices.  "Mike's Kitchen" used to be next to it, until Mike left and took his magnet with him.  There's a small cross-stitch house with the word "Welcome" that I made for a grandmother and which I took back after her death.  Bittersweet memories.



There are pictures of my daughter when she played soccer and a note that says "I love you mom" from my now grown-up daughter.  My son is in the military; he bought me an "Army Mom" magnet which goes with the "Support our Soldiers" and the "I Love My Soldier" magnets.

There are magnets from places I've visited like Providence Canyon, GA and the Utz Potato Chip Factory in Hanover, PA.  There are magnets that I've received as gifts from far-off places that I've only dreamed about, like Hawaii and Italy.  There are business card magnets for pizza, the vet, the electric company, and the doctor (on the side of the fridge).  Magnets which reaffirm my faith are scattered throughout the other magnets on my refrigerator.  My newest magnet I received as a Christmas gift - "I love my granddog".

And there are shoes!  I love ANYTHING in the shape of a shoe and over the years, I've collected quite a few shoe magnets.  Again, some of them I've bought myself and some of them are from friends and families.

Amazing isn't it, how such a small thing can bring back such powerful memories of your life.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment