Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An Alternative to Swiffer Sheets

If you're like me, you have a Swiffer Sweeper, or some variation, in your cleaning arsenal.  I have to admit that I like my Sweeper; it's easy to use and it works!  I'm less enthusiastic about the sheets; I'm always having to buy new sheets and it's just more waste.  I've tried recycling the used sheets in my compost pile, but I'm not thrilled with the results.  So, I have two problems - the cost of replacement sheets and how to dispose of the used sheets.  

While browsing the internet, I came up with a great solution - I made my own Sweeper covers.  I got the pattern from www.favecrafts.com.  I'm including the pattern, along with pictures of my home-made sweeper covers below.  This is an easy crochet pattern.

Instructions:
Main piece:
Chain 37.

1st Row: (RS). 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook.  1 sc in each chain across.  Turn.  36 sc.

**2nd Row:  Ch 1.  Working in back loop only of each sc, 1 sc in each sc across.  Turn.
Repeat last row until work from beginning measures 4 inches (10 cm).  Fasten off.**

Sides (make 2)
Chain 12.

1st Row: (RS). 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook.  1 sc in each chain across.  Turn.  11 sc.
Repeat from ** to ** as for Main Piece.

Join Sides to Main Piece: Place 1 side at each end of Main Piece and pin outer edges together.  With RS facing, join yarn with slip stitch in any corner.  Chain 1.  Work 1 row of sc around outer edge (through both thicknesses of Side and Main Piece at each end), working 3 sc in each corner.  Join with slip stitch to first sc.  Fasten off.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment