Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is bittersweet for me.  My dad passed away on July 9, 2000.  Sometimes, it feels like it was just yesterday that I lost him.  My dad always said that there wasn't anything that a walk or a peppermint candy couldn't make better.  I can remember him giving me a peppermint candy right before he walked me down the aisle on my wedding day.  I remember going up to New York for his memorial service.  His car was parked out front of my sister's house.  In the driver's seat was the vest and the hat that my dad wore wherever he went; when I saw them, I knew that he really was gone.  Every once in a while, I go and bury my face in his vest and remember how much I love and miss him.

I got a text message from my son today; it read "Happy father's day mom.  This day is for you too.  You played both rolls and did a damn good job.  Thanks mom."  Later on, my daughter came up to me and gave me a hug and wished me a happy father's day.  It made me feel so special.  So, if you have a dad, you're lucky, and if you are a single mom, happy father's day - you're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment